Log in to Borrow Direct
Borrow Direct enables Harvard University students, faculty, and staff to borrow books directly from the libraries of Brown, University of Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Johns Hopkins, MIT, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale.
About the Service:
- What can be borrowed:
- All printed books (monographs) and music scores that are lent by the owning library.
- What can't be borrowed:
- Books held in the Harvard Library collection that are on the shelf and available for lending.
- Books assigned to reference, reserve, or rare book collections by the owning library.
- Bound journals or journal articles, audio-visual material (DVDs, videos), or microforms (film, fiche).
- Loan Period: Six weeks. Recalled books must be returned within three days (standard daily fines will accrue for books not returned by the due date).
- Renewals: One six-week renewal
- Important Information for Users of Assistive Technologies:
- Known Problems for Screen Readers:
- Search results: When a search is submitted, the search results page refreshes several times before the searching is complete. If your screen reader does not reveal the changing page status, please wait for approximately 30-45 seconds. Then, reload the page and reread it from the beginning.
- Item requests: When an item is requested, the page refreshes several times before specifying that the request has been submitted. If your screen reader does not reveal the changing page status, please wait for approximately 30-45 seconds. Then, reload the page and read it from the beginning.
- Page navigation: We are working to improve internal page navigation for users of screen readers.
- Known Problems for Speech Recognition Software:
- Search results: If your speech recognition software does not recognize text links on the search results page, please refer to Library Support for Users with Disabilities for assistance.
- All Harvard students, faculty, and staff
- BML Fellows
- Hospital Harvard ID holders
- Research Assistants with Special Borrower IDs
- Please see the Who Can Use Countway page to determine your eligibility.
- Available books usually arrive within four (4) business days.
- A notice is sent to your e-mail account when a requested book arrives.
- Pickup and Return locations: Baker, Cabot, Countway, Divinity, Ernst Mayr Library of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Fine Arts, Gutman, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard-Yenching, Lamont, Law, Loeb Design, Loeb Music, Sackler, Southborough (for Southborough staff only), Tozzer, Widener, and Wolbach
- This service is free to all eligible users.
Resource Sharing-Interlibrary Loan Contact Information:
- Mail: Harvard Library Resource Sharing, 1 Harvard Yard, Room G-30, Cambridge, MA 02138
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 617-495-2972