The Center for the History of Medicine responds to requests for information ("reference requests") via e-mail, telephone, and written requests:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 617.432.2170
- Mail: Public Services, Center for the History of Medicine, Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, 10 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115
According to the Reference and User Services Association (a division of the American Library Association), Reference transactions are "information consultations in which library staff recommend, interpret, evaluate, and/or use information resources to help others to meet particular information needs." Public Services staff are unable to conduct research on behalf of patrons.
The Center provides reference services for:
- Faculty, students, and staff of Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Faculty, students, and staff of Harvard College and all Harvard University schools
- Members of the Boston Medical Library
- Members of the Massachusetts Medical Society
- Harvard's affiliated hospitals and the Longwood area community
- The general public
Depending on the volume of inquiries received, it may take between three to five business days for Public Services staff to respond to questions from the general public.