||The first Boston Medical Library (BML)
was founded by Doctors John C. Warren and James Jackson in 1805.
The Boston Medical Library was formally organized in 1875 by
Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes who served as its President. In 1960,
the Boston Medical Library and the Harvard Medical School Library
entered into an agreement to combine their collections and administration
in a new building known as The
Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Each of the two
original institutions continue collecting and ownership of its
holdings. The combined library ranks as one of the largest medical
libraries in the world.
The Boston Medical Library is a physicians non-profit organization
incorporated in 1877. The BML mission, revised in 2004, is
"to be a Library for the dissemination of medical knowledge,
the promotion of medical education and scholarship, and the
preservation and celebration of medical history, and thereby
to advance the quality of health and healthcare of the people."
Membership includes 300 fellows. The Boston Medical Library
serves as a resource for the medical school faculties and
medical students of Harvard
Medical School, Boston
University Medical School, Tufts
University School of Medicine and the University
of Massachusetts Medical School. In 1982, the Boston Medical
Library formally became the library for the Massachusetts
A Board of Trustees manages the BML. This group meets regularly
and has fiduciary responsibility for a significant endowment
which provides partial support for the Countway Library as
The Boston Medical Library is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, not-for-profit
For further reading see McCord, David (ed.) Bibliotheca Medica: Physician for Tomorrow, Boston: Harvard Medical School, 1966.